Pages

27.5.14

may new in: beauty & misc

We're back for another installment of the new in series! This month Candy was fresh off her spending ban and back with a vengeance. I on the other hand swore to spend less but obviously that didn't work out. This month's new in is special because we've split it up into beauty and miscellaneous new in items and and our latest fashion purchases. Candy is awaiting the arrival of her NastyGal package (ooh how exciting) so do stay tuned for next post that should be coming to you within the next few weeks.

In other news, the June holidays are fast approaching! As busy J2s our top priorities are our academics, but we promise to have a new (highly demanded heh) lookbook/ documentation of our escapades out soon. Be excited because we sure are!
______

gabi
______

 photo IMG_0801_zps428e393a.jpg

1. Real Techniques Core Collection
Finally got my hands on these highly talked about brushes. I immediately ripped them out of their packaging once I got home to test them out and I have to say that they really do not disappoint. These brushes are ultra soft and they come with a handy case that makes them perfect to travel with. Special mention to the buffing brush (far right) that really lives up to all the hype that I've read/heard about it for the past few years. It makes applying foundation like a gazillion times quicker and leaves the skin looking natural and not too caked with make up.

 photo IMG_0798_zps2aa3a207.jpg

2. Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner
I took advantage of the 20% off Sephora promotion recently to stock up on my all time favourite eye liner. I don't think I'll find anything more black or as easy to apply anytime soon. 

3. Kiehl's Acne Control Daily Skin-Clearing Treatment
A perk of having a mum who travels a lot is duty-free cosmetics. This is one of the many weapons I have in my arsenal to combat my wonderfully pimple prone teenage skin. This treament in particular is pretty gentle on the skin and doesn't leave it too dry which is always good.

4. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation
This foundation wasn't actually bought this month but was acquired from my lovely mother who doesn't really use liquid foundations. I eagerly welcomed it to my ever expanding makeup stash as the brand Tarte getting a lot of recognition for having good base products. Despite being a tad too yellow for my skin, I'm liking it so far.

5. Fresh Soy Face Cleanser
Let me tell you, this stuff really stinks. Like really. But I still got the full size after trying out the mini sample because it's also a really really nice product that leaves your skin feeling smooth, hydrated and still very clean.  

 photo IMG_0804_zpsf1d3a071.jpg

6. Topshop Nail Polish 
Last year I wouldn't have even touched this colour with a stick, but somehow I've done a complete 180 and have become really attracted to true reds like this one. It'll be primarily a toenail polish for now until I can pluck up the courage to wear them on my fingernails. Did I mention it was reduced to $6? SCORE

7. NYX Butter Gloss in Tiramisu
DAMN this stuff smells good. It has a sweet vanilla pastry scent to it that is absolutely heavenly. The colour is a pretty nude pink that isn't too offensive and is a good option for an everyday look. It's really really glossy and wears off nicely but it's lasting power isnt the best (but the scent totally makes up for it o m g)

 photo IMG_0771_zps9f767d92.jpg

8. Bon Iver Bon Iver
It was a toss up between For Emma, Forever Ago and this but since I don't own a record player (yet) I went with this one because of it's higher aesthetic appeal i.e. it has better album art 

9. Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore By Robin Sloan
Picked this up on a whim at Popular a few weeks back but haven't gotten round to reading it yet. Book titles like this one are my favourite because they promise a story of mystery and whimsical adventure i.e. my favourite kind of novel to read. 

10. Moleskine
It was 40% off at HMV!!! How could I resist. 

 photo IMG_0797_zpscffdcd15.jpg

11. Osk Japanese tea mixed with roasted rice
In a family pack because go big or go home

 photo IMG_0803_zpsf8f2b857.jpg

12. Loreal Sulfate-free Hydrate Shampoo
Another product that smells absolutely delightful. Also it was on sale. I do love me a good sale.

 photo IMG_0796_zps83300579.jpg

13. Cereal Magazine
This is my first time reading this magazine and it is pretty promising so far albeit slightly random- the first section was dedicated entirely to grains (staying true to their name I guess?)

_______

candi
_______

 photo IMG_1339_zpsd39cfd5c.jpg

this has been a really expensive month for me after last month's shopping fast. I kick-started the month with luxola when they were having a 30% site-wide sale; I love shopping on luxola,  shipping is extremely fast, I usually receive my packages within the next 2 days by courier service, and they always include little freebies for me (the last time it was a Sleek blush and eyeshadow, the gifts this time round really pale in comparison, but who am i to complain if i am gifted freeeeeebies)


 photo IMG_1337_zpsab13ec23.jpg

1. Crazy Rumours French Vanilla lip balm
since my blistex lip balm (rest in peace) melted in my schoolbag creating a mess in my vanity pouch I've been needing a replacement, and this was practically calling out for me to give it a shot. if you remember from the last post, vanilla was my scent for May so i picked this out, though i would actually prefer its pink grapefruit counterpart, hmmm maybe June then.

 photo IMG_1335_zps8452065e.jpg


2. VMV Hypoallergenics Monolaurin Gel
this product received many rave reviews on luxola and there was only 1 left in stock, so i thought i absolutely had to get it. also, if you knew me you'd know that i would try anything for a better complexion, but this gel is by all means not a miracle product. i'd say it'd make a very good supplement to your anti-blemish system, because my skin is really clearing up now after i used this with my mario badescu products.
however, props to branding of this label, i loved the no-frills packaging and the company's commitment to its philosophy, animal-free testing (products are halal and vegan), using glue-free boxes and soy-based ink, as well as other environmentally friendlier components for packaging options. Props!

 photo IMG_1336_zps23a3b9e1.jpg

3. Just Herbs Ayurvedic Anti-pimple Ritual
all i can say is: love the face wash, hate the pimple treatment
my skin really appreciated the switch in systems (i'm a believer in switching up your skincare regime once in a while, much like your exercise regime, your skin will get used to the active ingredients and they may not be so effective in combating your skin concerns) (my opinion though, not sure if there's solid truth in my beliefs but it works for me!) 

  • the face wash does what it claims, and i do like that it's herbal! (was using the himalayan herbals cleanser before this so you understand why) (also, ayurvedic reminds me of spas and relaxation ahhh)
  • the pimple treatment is a bottle of herbal powder (?) that you have you mix with yogurt and lemon juice to make a paste. there were no specific ratios so i had no idea if i was doing it right or not. the mask stung my face the first time, but it was bearable, beauty is pain after all. but because i had to mix my paste with blind intuition there was a lot left over, which happened during the second time as well. my heart aches for the painstakingly stirred, strong-smelling brown paste washed down the sink. despite it being 100% natural w/ no added preservatives or colour, i'm gonna have to say nay to this product because it simply is too much work.

 photo IMG_1333_zps933f682e.jpg

have i mentioned how much i loooooved supermarkets??? I DO I DO! There's just soooo many things to look at it's fascinating! Got some tea and coffee

 photo IMG_1332_zps8a1328a2.jpg

4. Clipper Organic Detox Infusion
was actually looking for some loose leaves for my strawberry infuser, but the design on this box really attracted me, and i could use a detox anyway. smells a little like ginger, not for people who don't like infusions (duh) or teas that do not taste like normal leaf teas, took me a while of getting used to the taste. (but it looks like blood tea hurhurhur)

 photo IMG_1360_zpsdaee1bf6.jpg
5. Too Good Gourmet Holiday Blend
this was on clearance (because evidently the festival retail period is over) but expiry is a long time away and they packaging was too cute to pass up (do you see a pattern here?) (product/packaging design is very important to me heh). it's cinnamon-hazelnut flavoured coffee, and it smells absolutely divine. (using a drip is such a hassle though)

 photo IMG_0658_zps71d1275c.jpg

(this is not a new bottle of fiji but) guys I've graduated from natural artesian water

 photo IMG_1334_zpse099dbb7.jpg

6. to naked. luxury artesian water
seriously though, they all taste the same to me, i still like water boiled in a steel kettle best. basically, i paid $2.20 for a very pretty plastic bottle.

7. moon phase sticker c/o gigi
isn't this lovely? looks like a viable tattoo for the art-design creative hipster type as well.

 photo IMG_1344_zpse2c3592a.jpg

8. Real Techniques Core Collection
gabi very frantically asked me if i wanted a set as well, and these were highly raved online, sooooo i just went with it. I second gab's review above, these brushes are indeed really soft, and good quality for such an affordable price range.

9. Topshop nail polishes
FRANKLY speaking, the only time i would buy topshop nail colours are during good sales like this because their nail varnishes are terrible and very overpriced. They're too diluted and so prone to chipping as well unless you apply a good, strong top coat. I'd rather buy similar colours from O.P.I. or China Glaze, and again, topshop nails are only worth buying for their cute bottles+caps.

10. Daiso lavender candle
absolutely useless when burning, i can catch whiffs of lavender only when it's left unlit. I bought another in citrus, and the smell is completely gone after lighting up only once (and no smell given during the burn time) I guess you get what you pay for!
_______

do watch out for our upcoming post, we have lots of clothes acquired this month! well, like i said, it's been a very expensive month, and my wallet is still reeling from the carnage.

stay gold,
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment